(Rumeli) Mesudiye Bataryası (Fort No. 7)

Armament: three 150 mm L/45 naval guns


One of three 150/45 naval guns of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery with its crew - former sailors from the battleship Mesudiye, sunk on December 13, 1914 by the British submarine B 11 (Internet)

View from Baykuş Hill towards South. The arrow marks indicate: 1-3 – concrete emplacements of 150/45 guns of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery; 4 – Erenköy / İntepe. Dardanos and Rumeli Mesudiye Batteries together with the howitzer batteries around Erenköy and on Gallipoli Peninsula (to the right) covered with their fire almost the whole reservoir seen on this picture. Besides this, the long barreled guns of central forts fired as far as to the place where the ship is (to the right from arrow No. 4). The line between Dardanos and Rumeli Mesudiye Batteries also marked the beginning of the minefield.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Three gun emplacements of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery seen from Baykuş Hill.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Main ammunition store of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery damaged on March 18, 1915 by Allied navy.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

One of three gun emplacements of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

One of three gun emplacements of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

A 150/45 gun from Rumeli Mesudiye Battery – now exposed on Cumhuriyet Meydanı in Çanakkale.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

An unexploded 150 mm shell on the main square in Eceabat. The same type of ammunition was used to the guns of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Remains of a searchlight system at the foot of Rumeli Mesudiye Battery: searchlight’s ramp (top of the picture) and remnants of the generator building (bottom of the picture).

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

 

Back to Fortifications