Rumeli Mecidiye Tabyası (Fort No. 13)

Armament: two 280 mm L/22 guns, four 240 mm L/35 guns


A detail of a unique daguerreotype photograph taken in 1880’s which shows the construction of Fort Rumeli Mecidiye (the masonry works are already finished, but the ammunition stores are not covered with earth yet). The picture comes from a major set of photographs taken for sultan Abdülhamid II. (Piotr Nykiel's collection)

Fort seen from its NE flank.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort seen from its SW flank.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort's commanding post (on its SW flank).

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The interior of the original ammunition store (corridor) built of stone and brick and covered with plaster.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The interior of the original ammunition store (left chamber).

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The interior of the original ammunition store - a right-hand ramp through which the ammunition was delivered from the store to the gun emplacement.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The entrance to the ammunition store built at the turn of 1914 and 1915.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The interior of the ammunition store built at the turn of 1914 and 1915. The smaller height and unplastered stone walls covered with the ceiling made of steel rings prove that it was constructed in haste.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

View from the SW flank of Fort Rumeli Mecidiye toward the Southern entrance to the Dardanelles.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort Rumeli Mecidiye (in the center of the photograph) seen from the ship’s deck from the distance of approx. 500 m. For the ships that fired to it from the distance of over 12000 m it was visible only when opened fire itself. The arrow marks show: 1- the ruins of the Goncasuyu radio station building; 2 – the aerial mast located at the same place where the Goncasuyu radio station’s aerial was during WWI.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort Rumeli Mecidiye seen from Goncasuyu Hill.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

 

Fort Rumeli Mecidiye after “renovation” in 2010/11

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)
(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)
(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)
(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

A 240/35 gun from Fort Yenikale in İzmir set up on the second (from NE) gun emplacement of Fort Rumeli Mecidiye.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)
(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

The left-side ammunition store of Corporal Seyit’s gun emplacement.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort’s commanding post and last gun emplacement (built in 1914 or 1915) – a clear example of wrongly done reconstruction.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Fort Rumeli Mecidiye seen from Kilitbahir Plateau. The arrow shows Corporal Seyit’s gun emplacement.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

Cemetery of 16 Turkish artillerymen from Fort Rumeli Mecidiye who felt during the battle of March 18, 1915.

(Photo: Piotr Nykiel)

 

Back to Fortifications